“Be prepared” is the motto of the scout movement. It refers to preparedness in body and in mind. But there is another level on which it is good to be prepared: your gear. Whenever I carry my backpack with me, this little orange bag is with me as well. It contains everything what’s necessary in my opinion. However, it is not only intended for emergency situations, but also includes small items that help in everyday life. Its contents have been refined over and over since I started putting it together in 2010.
In this post I want to give you an overview of its contents – maybe it can serve as inspiration when compiling a similar pack.
- Chocolate: whenever you need a little boost of energy, for example when you have forgotten your sandwich at home
- USB-cable: for data transfer between computer and phone. Also for charging the phone from a computer or in connection with the power pack (mentioned later)
- Plastic bags in different sizes and two types of paper clips
- Latex gloves for first-aid situations
- Tampon: great fire starter and of help with nosebleeds
- Waterproof cartridge which contains another tampon and a bit of rope. Its round shape is also perfect for storing some duct tape
- Silver wire: in order to tie something the heavy-duty way. Also great for sewing.
- Needles, string, buttons, safety pins, rubber bands
- Plastic mouthpiece for resuscitation
- Medication: in this case painkillers and coal tablets to treat poisoning
- Plaster package: its contents are described in detail later in this post
- Elastic bandage
- Water purification tablets
- Wound glue
- Cable ties
The plaster package contains the following items:
- Normal plasters
- Plasters for cut wounds
- Blister plasters
- Larger wound pads
Also it contains a diamond knife-sharpener, just because the shape fits so nicely.
- Nylon patch for fixing tent, sleeping bag, jacket, whatever …
- Paper tissue
- Small piece of flint for cutting
- Glue: when it gets in contact with air, it starts to harden
- Emergency whistle
- Pen and rubber bands. The front part of the pen can be screwed off and used to get water from even the tiniest puddle
- Clip for closing plastic bags
- Emergency phone numbers
- Self-made spoon
- Power pack
- Eye mask and ear plugs
- Waterproof cartridge containing matches and a candle. The outside is used for storing tape.
Everything is neatly stored in this bag (originally a toiletry bag from an airplane) and packed inside a waterproof bag.